Do you have a passion for helping others and seeking a career where you can make a difference? Then join our team where we have proven to be a strong, self-sufficient and timeless cornerstone of our community committed to connecting and serving people where they live.
Job Title: Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN), Program Float Nurse
Location: Float Position - Brazoria & Galveston Counties
Reporting to the onsite Program Manager with clinical oversight from the Chief Nursing Officer, the Licensed Vocational Nurse performs responsible healthcare administrative work within the behavioral health adult outpatient setting to include coordination of medication clinics and follow-up of adult population diagnosed with severe & persistent mental illness receiving pharmacological management and psychiatric diagnostic evaluation services. Duties include education & guidance about medication and possible side effects & other medication related services & psychosocial rehabilitative supports to facilitate recovery as outlined in the Texas Resiliency & Recovery service array. Occasional irregular work hours.
Receives supervision from the Clinic Program Manager as well as clinical oversight from the Chief Nursing Officer.
Non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Requires graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent. Requires graduation from an accredited school of nursing as approved by the Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners; licensed as an LVN in the state of Texas.
Experience in general nursing care of patients, preferably extensive experience working with individuals with behavioral health disorders; 2-5years full-time paid experience in clinical setting is preferred.
Proficiency in general aspects of nursing/healthcare; highly organized & well developed oral & written communication skills; mature problem solving approach; good interpersonal skills & ability to establish cooperative relationships with persons served and families; self-motivated with good time management skills; a team player that can follow a system & protocol to achieve a common goal; ability to work with multiple tasks and priorities and maintain timeliness of the finished product; customer expectations are consistently met; proficiency in computer skills, including maneuvering in the Center's SmartCare Electronic Health Record. Must be able to type at least 30 WPM with 80% accuracy.
Must maintain current licensure through Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners.
Standard office/clinic environment; occasional travel may be required. Work hours are generally 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday, but may require irregular work hours. At time of reduced staffing, and under the direction of the CNO, may be assigned to any of the four GCC behavioral health outpatient adult clinics to assist with coverage needs.
Participates in the implementation of the service plan (Essential)
- Assists all patients through the healthcare system by acting as a advocate & navigator
- Promotes clear communication amongst care team & treating clinicians by ensuring awareness regarding patient care plans
- Participate in team discussion and monitoring of medical needs for individuals with behavioral health needs
- Works jointly with program staff, including contracted & co-located physical healthcare provider (Community Health Network) to identify and serve individuals with co-occurring physical health needs.
- Completes referrals as needed
- Utilizes identified evidenced-based practices to conduct comprehensive, preventative screenings for patients (phq9, C-SSRS, biometric screening, OUD, UDS, and other screening as identified) & records results in patient's EHR
- When called upon, responsible for assisting medication support staff with the tracking of manufactured medications as well as shelf samples
- Documents all service related activities and communications according to the Center's clinical documentation guidelines
Monitors patient progress in relation to the Person Centered Recovery Plan (Essential)
- Maintains contact with patient and significant others
- Communicates patient's progress and/or changing needs with the patient
- Responsible for providing input into the development of the Person Centered Recovery Plan (PCRP) as well as co-signing plan as member of the treatment team
- Documents progress according to the Center's clinical documentation guidelines & EHR procedures
- Responsible for monitoring/scheduling of lab studies and injection administration
Assist in the delivery of comprehensive health/medical services to Center-established aspects of nursing care patients (Essential)
- Demonstrates proficiency in all aspects of nursing care
- Facilitates patient medication management & education based on TRR evidence-based protocols to include education & guidance about medications & possible side effects through use of HHSC approved materials (MHSA) as well as medication related services as a part of psychosocial rehab services to appropriately authorized individuals as outlined in TAC Title 25 Chapter 416 Rule 416.8
- In support of prescribing provider, conducts medication reconciliation by reviewing & comparing patient's complete medication regimen at time of follow-up visit post inpatient admission with current outpatient medication regimen to avoid inconsistency across transition in care
- Participates in the coordination of the medication clinic
- Responsible for the accurate and safe administration of injectable medication
Utilizes clinically sound judgment in developing relationships with patients & service providers (Essential)
- Decision making reflects knowledge of current trends in mental health services
- Coordinates patient care by serving as liaison between patient, prescriber and other identified health care workers
- Follows & utilizes as a resource guide, the GCC Center Medication Policies & Procedures
- Stays current on treatment modalities through continuing education and staff development
Documents services provided according to current records, policies & procedures (Essential)
- Documentation/billing is entered accurately within 2 business days of service delivery, though same-day, collaborative documentation is highly recommended
- Participates in quality assurance initiatives internal within agency
- Establishes baseline data and assists with tracking of vital health indicators as part of BHCQMs (CCBHC) and 1115 Waiver identified outcome measures
- Participates in Random Moment in Time Study as applicable
Community resource development (Non essential)
- Participates in inter or intra-agencies councils or committee as assigned
- Maintains current licensure with Texas Board of Nurse Examiners
- Maintains all levels of training pursuant to GCC and HHSC training guidelines
- Pursuant to the Nurse Practice Act, supervision of Vocational Nurse states that the practice of vocational nursing must be performed under the supervision of a registered nurse, physician, physician assistant, podiatrist, or dentist supervision of Vocational Nurse. All LVNs will receive periodic supervision as outlined in the Center's Delegation of Certain Medical and Nursing Acts policies & procedures
- All licensed nurses are required to review &familiarize themselves with the Center's Medication Policies & Procedures, to include the Delegation of Certain Medical and Nursing Acts
Work Team (Essential)
- Displays professionalism & supportive of co-workers; exhibits courtesy and respect when interacting with peers
- Regularly participates in quarterly Behavioral Health Provider & Nursing Services meetings
- Function as an effective team member by arriving and departing work site on time
- Schedule personal days with supervisor in advance whenever possible and coordinate coverage with other team members to assure coverage during absences
Corporate Compliance/Rights Protection (Essential)
- Strict adherence to the professional, ethical and legal requirements set forth in the Center's Business Code of Conduct as well as the Corporate Compliance Plan
Other Duties/Special Projects (Essential)
- Attend program staff meetings as scheduled as well as quarterly behavioral health provider /nursing services meetings as scheduled
- Assist supervisor, service area manager & CNO as requested to accurately complete special projects
- Perform other duties as assigned
Special Requests/Requirements (essential)
- Must have good working knowledge of computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel
- Must be able to type forty (40) words per minutes accurately
- Must be able to work with little or no direct supervision
- Must have excellent organizational skills to meet strict deadlines
- Must demonstrate good verbal and written communications skills
- Must have reliable transportation, maintain current/valid Texas driver's license; must have driving record insurable by the Center's insurance administrator; must adhere to the GCC Driver Policy
- Corporate Compliance: Adheres to the professional, ethical, and legal requirements set forth in the center's business Code of Conduct as well as the Corporate Compliance Plan
- In Service Training: Completes all initial trainings (New Employee Orientation, PMAB, First Aid, CPR) within 60 days of hire; obtains required updates/recertification as required, participates in other continuing education trainings as required
- Requires visual & auditory skills to complete accurate applications for the customer
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
- Must be physically able to complete Prevention & Management of Aggressive Behavior, CPR, First Aid & other required training as identified
- Must have fine motor skills for legible writing & will need to drive motor vehicle while conducting business travel