Do you have a passion for helping others and seeking a career where you can make a difference? Then join our team where we have proven to be a strong, self-sufficient and timeless cornerstone of our community committed to connecting and serving people where they live.
Job Title: Porter
To provide support services for the Center's Transportation Program.
Receives direct supervision from the Transit Supervisors and indirect supervision from the Director Transportation
- Must have ability to conduct minor vehicles repairs and emergency equipment installations (one year minimum conducting minor vehicle repairs preferred).
- Must have vehicle parts and frame working knowledge of location, description, and function.
- Must be able to climb eight- (8) foot ladder (exterior light replacement bus's, etc.)
- One year paid experience in the field preferred.
- Requires no more than three moving violations within the last three years.
- Must maintain auto liability insurance coverage.
- Assist Transit Supervisors with transportation of vehicles to contract shops and vendor repairs and inspection
- Assist with pre-trip and post-trip inspection sheets, record reported maintenance problems and match to repair/parts order invoice to trip sheets and ensure in proper file.
- Porter vehicles as assigned to car wash, oil changes, tire shops, body shop.
- Conduct minor vehicle repairs such as (interior and exterior vehicle light replacement, seat belt replacement, windshield blade replacement, ADA lifts inspections, PM and emergency window latch replacements and other minor repairs
- Assist with and maintain inventory and stocking of vehicle supplies, oils, engine fluids, wiper blades, fuses, light bulbs, seat belts and wheelchair lift belts, fire extinguishers, Bio-Hazard and first aid supplies.
- Ability to read and write in English
- Ability to deal politely and effectively with public.
- Non-exempt under Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Working time will be split between minor vehicle maintenance and detailing vehicles.
- Standard office environment
- Direct service environment.
- Travel required in region and/or out of region.
- Flex hours as required by the job to include overtime when necessary, may include weekend, holiday, or evening hours.
- Telephone required or other means of contact during off hours.
- Reporting sites may vary between Galveston and Brazoria Counties.
- May be required to perform minor vehicle repairs or other duties dependent upon the situation.
- Will interface with other transportation providers.
- Requires maintenance of a safe driving record both on and off duty.
- Preventable and/or ticketed accidents may affect performance evaluation grade and/or employment status.
- Essential-Submit vehicle records/reports to the Transit Supervisor by the next working day.
- Essential-maintain documentation according to procedure and in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Essential-Maintains current, all levels of training as directed by GCC policy as well as those outlined by departmental and regulations specific to position. To include all DOT requirements.
- Strict adherence to the professional, ethical and legal requirements set forth in the Center`s Business Code of Conduct as well as the Corporate Compliance Plan.
- Essential-provide assistance to auditors as required.
- Essential-Conform to Center procedures. Comply with vehicle rules and use procedures.
- Essential-Submit incident reports within 24 hours of incident/accident to the Transit Supervisor.
- Essential-Utilize two-way radio according to procedure.
- Essential-Ensure that the vehicle is maintained appropriately and complies with safety standards.
- To include completing/submitting vehicle checklist, cleaning vehicle, etc. Notify the Transit Supervisor immediately of problems affecting the safe and efficient operation of the vehicle.
- Essential-maintain a safe driving record. No more than one moving violation annually.
- Attend mandatory program staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned by manager.
- May require flexible hours.