COAST CENTER - JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Medication Specialist
Location: Galveston, TX
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Working Status: Full
Time with Benefits
Reporting to the Manger of Medication Support Services, the Medication Specialist is responsible for Medication provision activities. These responsibilities include but are not limited to: screen individuals for Patient Assistance Programs (PAP); enter data in pharmacy inventory systems; monitor refill requests; ensure Center compliance for appropriate storage, inventory, and destruction of medications; coordinate medication provision for individuals in service. Provide program support for COPSD and drug prior authorization.
Center operates under a trauma-informed approach based on the six key principles
of Safety, Trustworthiness & Transparency, Peer Support, Collaboration
& Mutuality, Empowerment & Choice, and Cultural, Historical &
Duties: (To be performed with or without accommodation as based on ADA
The Medication Specialist will be responsible for the following:
- Process medication orders for ETBHN Pharmacy.
- Ensure pharmacy purchases follow Center protocols including adherence to formulary and utilization of PAP meds. Confirm no medications are already onsite in the clinic prior to purchase request. Confirm compliance with appointments. Complete PAP applications as appropriate.
- Maintain medication inventory data.
- Ensure that medication deliveries are documented in inventory systems upon receipt. Medication distributions are entered into pharmacy system and EHR by 9:30 am the following business day with 95% compliance. Maintain injection drug and PAP receipts and distributions. Medication Transport Logs and Medication Destruction Logs will be maintained accurately.
- Manage medication storage and disposal according to Center protocols.
- Ensure medication storage and disposal is consistent with Center protocols.
- Maintenance of Pharmacy/Managed Pharmacy Benefit systems.
- Ensure that client profiles are entered promptly and accurately into Pharmacy/Managed Pharmacy Benefit systems; liaison with pharmacy systems to ensure efficient customer service.
- Keeps supervisor informed by submitting monthly program activity reports.
- Provide accurate reports to supervisor as directed. Ensure adherence to monthly productivity/utilization standards.
- Monitor prescription refill requests.
- When assigned, monitor prescription refill lines throughout the day, including at 10 am, 1 pm, and 4 pm.
- Facilitates efficient and effective communication within and across GCC departmental areas.
- Maintains the flow of communication between program coworkers as well as with supervisor. Uses appropriate clinical knowledge to communicate with prescribing professionals.
- Attends work regularly and punctually in order to provide reliable and consistent coverage in area of responsibility.
- Arrives at designated time. Maintains a willingness to adjust schedule to meet the needs of the situation. Makes every attempt to pre-schedule absences and provide dependable coverage and service.
- Complete Drug Prior Authorizations for all Center clinic programs.
- Prior Authorizations are completed quickly and thoroughly to minimize disruption to clients' medication therapy
- Management of COPSD program.
- Processes and schedules referrals in timely manner. Efficiently runs on-site and tele-med appointments with COPSD physician. Coordinates medication procurement (ETBHN and Envolve) as needed, in accordance with program guidelines and Center medication policies.
- Will be responsible and accountable
for the adherence to and promotion of the agency compliance policy and will
require communication with various departments to foster, develop and continue
our community partnerships as it relates to the position.
- Treat all individuals with the utmost
courtesy, decency and respect.
- Provide responsive, and efficient
- Interact with staff, consumers, local
entities and advocacy groups to provide a service that meets local needs.
- Provide highest level of Customer
Service for both internal and external customers.
- Required to report personnel leave;
flex time and emergency leave to assigned supervisor.
- Strict adherence to the professional,
ethical, and legal requirements set forth in GCC's Business Code of Conduct as
well as the Corporate Compliance Plan.
- Consistent adherence to the Center's
- Consistent adherence to Center safety
guidelines and expectations.
- May be required to travel within
Brazoria and Galveston Counties.
- Out of region travel may be required
to attend trainings.
- Must maintain a clear driving record
and driver's license in accordance with our Driver Policy.
- Requires current Texas Driver's
License, reliable transportation and must maintain current auto liability
direct supervision from Manager of Medication Support Services
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Associate Degree in related area
- Two years of directly related experience
- Two years of related pharmacy/medical experience such as Pharmacy Technician or Certified Medical Assistant/Certified Medication Assistant.
- Requires excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to read medical orders and other related clinical documentation.
- Ability to perform math calculations as pertaining to medical orders.
- Ability to communicate in writing with clinical team, including nurses, prescribers, and pharmacists.
- Ability to follow designated guidelines and to determine the best resolutions to various issues, considering input from clinical team.
- Ability to develop solutions with team members and individuals receiving service.
- General knowledge of mental disorders and treatments.
- Ability to
express self clearly and effectively, orally and in writing.
ability to work within a team approach.
proficiency with computer skills, programs and email.
- Work will be
performed in the Office setting.
- May require
varied work hours depending on need of clients.
- Out of
region travel may be required to attend trainings.
- May require
travel to various locations within Brazoria and Galveston Counties. Requires
current Texas Driver's License, reliable transportation safe and current with
all state requirements, and liability insurance.
supervisor when requested to complete special projects and complete all
assignments within a time frame negotiated with the supervisor. Completion of
other duties as assigned by supervisor as it relates to the program and
Physical/Mental Requirements & Environmental Conditions:
to transport, adjust and/or move items up to 55 lbs.
to ascend/descend stairs.
to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time.
to handle objects.
to operate office equipment.
to move around within an office setting and/or other locations as needed; may
include ability to bend/twist, kneel/stoop and/or reach for items.
to push/pull, crawl/squat as it relates to PMAB requirements; may be required
to perform PMAB restraints as it relates to program requirements. Ability
to detect and write effectively.
to hear (with or without aid).
to have visual acuity to operate a motor vehicle and observe objects within
to accept constructive criticism.
to maintain regular attendance.
to understand, communicate and comprehend accurate information with others
to reason and analyze effectively.
to solve practical problems as it relates to position.
to pass and maintain all Center mandated trainings.
must be able to perform these functions with or without reasonable
accommodations as based on ADA requirements.
to work alone.
to work closely with others.
to work closely with clients and/or family members with poor hygiene. Ability
to work long and/or irregular hours.
be subjected to hostile environment.
be subjected to high crime environment.
exposure to tobacco products.
be subjected to both inside and outside environmental conditions.
to standard noise levels within working environment.
by motor vehicle, van, bus or plane may be required.