Do you have a passion for helping others and seeking a career where you can make a difference? Then join our team where we have proven to be a strong, self-sufficient and timeless cornerstone of our community committed to connecting and serving people where they live.
COAST CENTER - JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Nurse - LVN
and Galveston Counties
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Working Status: Full
Time with Benefits
Reporting to the onsite Program Manager with clinical oversight from the Chief Nursing Officer, the Licensed Vocational Nurse performs responsible healthcare administrative work within the behavioral health adult outpatient setting to include coordination of medication clinics, support to prescribing providers and follow-up of adult population diagnosed with severe & persistent mental illness receiving pharmacological management and psychiatric diagnostic evaluation services. Duties include education & guidance about medication and possible side effects & other medication related services & psychosocial rehabilitative supports to facilitate recovery as outlined in the Texas Resiliency & Recovery service array. Occasional irregular work hours.
Center operates under a trauma-informed approach based on the six key principles
of Safety, Trustworthiness & Transparency, Peer Support, Collaboration
& Mutuality, Empowerment & Choice, and Cultural, Historical &
Duties: (To be performed with or without accommodation as based on ADA
The Nurse - LVN Float will be responsible for the following:
- Assist in the delivery of comprehensive health/medical services to Center-established aspects of nursing care patients; demonstrates proficiency in all aspects of nursing care; facilitates patient medication management & education based on TRR evidence-based protocols to include education & guidance about medications & possible side effects through use of HHSC approved materials (MHSA) as well as medication related services as a part of psychosocial rehab services to appropriately authorized individuals as outlined in TAC Title 25 Chapter 416 Rule 416.8; ensures appropriate consents are obtained as outlined in TAC Title 25 Chapter 414 Rule 414.405; assists with completion of medication consents annually or as indicated utilizing GCC/medical director-approved patient informed consent.
- Participates in the coordination of the medication clinic & facilitates patient management visits; responsible for the monitoring & scheduling of lab studies and injections where applicable; responsible for the accurate and safe administration of injectable medication where applicable; when called upon, responsible for monitoring and assisting medication support staff with the tracking of manufactured medications as well as shelf samples.
- In support of prescribing provider, conducts medication reconciliation by reviewing & comparing patient's complete medication regimen at time of follow-up visit post inpatient admission with current outpatient medication regimen to avoid inconsistency across transition in care.
- Utilizes clinically sound judgment in developing relationships with patients & service providers; decision making reflects knowledge of current trends in mental health services; coordinates patient care by serving as liaison between patient, prescriber and other identified health care workers; follows & utilizes as a resource guide, the GCC Center Medication Policies & Procedures; stays current on treatment modalities through continuing education and staff development.
- Monitors patient progress in relation to the Person Centered Recovery Plan; maintains contact with patient and Legally Authorized Representative (LAR); communicates patient progress and/or changing needs with the patient/LAR; responsible for providing input in, and co-signing the Person Centered Recovery Plan (PCRP) as member of the treatment team; documents progress according to the Center's clinical documentation guidelines & EHR procedures.
- Ensures that all documentation is complete, accurate and clear as required by GCC clinical documentation guidelines, HHSC contract & TAC requirements; documentation is completed & service encounters are entered into SmartCare EHR within 2 business days of service provision as appropriate to patients' treatment plan & assigned level of care; through a system of care, helps to establish baseline data & assists with tracking vital health indicators as a part of BHCQMs & 1115 Waiver outcome measures; participates in Random Moment in Time Study as applicable.
- Pursuant to the Nurse Practice Act, supervision of Vocational Nurse states that the practice of vocational nursing must be performed under the supervision of a registered nurse, physician, physician assistant, podiatrist, or dentist supervision of Vocational Nurse; all LVNs will receive periodic supervision as outlined in the Center's Delegation of Certain Medical and Nursing Acts policies & procedures; RNs may be asked to provide supervision/oversight of identified LVNs; all licensed nurses are required to review & familiarize themselves with the Center's Medication Policies & Procedures, to include the Delegation of Certain Medical and Nursing Acts.
- Attends quarterly behavioral health medical services meetings and actively participates in discussion with GCC nursing team and prescribing professionals.
- Will be responsible and accountable
for the adherence to and promotion of the agency compliance policy and will
require communication with various departments to foster, develop and continue
our community partnerships as it relates to the position.
- Treat all individuals with the utmost
courtesy, decency and respect.
- Provide responsive, and efficient
- Interact with staff, consumers, local
entities and advocacy groups to provide a service that meets local needs.
- Provide highest level of Customer
Service for both internal and external customers.
- Required to report personnel leave;
flex time and emergency leave to assigned supervisor.
- Strict adherence to the professional,
ethical, and legal requirements set forth in GCC's Business Code of Conduct as
well as the Corporate Compliance Plan.
- Consistent adherence to the Center's
- Consistent adherence to Center safety
guidelines and expectations.
- May be required to travel within
Brazoria and Galveston Counties.
- Out of region travel may be required
to attend trainings.
- Must maintain a clear driving record
and driver's license in accordance with our Driver Policy.
- Requires current Texas Driver's
License, reliable transportation and must maintain current auto liability
direct supervision from Program Manager w/clinical oversight from CNO.
- Requires graduation from an accredited one-year course in vocational nursing as approved by the Texas State Board of Vocational Nurse Examiners.
- Documented proof of active licensure; licensure renewal required every 2 years as per Texas Board of Nursing; maintains current licensure with Texas Board of Nurse Examiners.
- Should have considerable experience in general nursing care of patients; self-motivated with good time management skills.
- Extensive experience working with individuals with behavioral health disorders; 2-5 years full-time paid experience in clinical setting.
- Able to work with multiple tasks; utilizes work time effectively to ensure that all assignments are completed within agreed upon time frames.
- Ability to
express self clearly and effectively, orally and in writing.
ability to work within a team approach.
proficiency with computer skills, programs and email.
- Work will be
performed in the Office setting.
- May require
varied work hours depending on need of clients.
- Out of
region travel may be required to attend trainings.
- May require
travel to various locations within Brazoria and Galveston Counties. Requires
current Texas Driver's License, reliable transportation safe and current with
all state requirements, and liability insurance.
supervisor when requested to complete special projects and complete all
assignments within a time frame negotiated with the supervisor. Completion of
other duties as assigned by supervisor as it relates to the program and
Physical/Mental Requirements & Environmental Conditions:
to transport, adjust and/or move items up to 55 lbs.
to ascend/descend stairs.
to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time.
to handle objects.
to operate office equipment.
to move around within an office setting and/or other locations as needed; may
include ability to bend/twist, kneel/stoop and/or reach for items.
to push/pull, crawl/squat as it relates to PMAB requirements; may be required
to perform PMAB restraints as it relates to program requirements.
to detect and write effectively.
to hear (with or without aid).
to have visual acuity to operate a motor vehicle and observe objects within
to accept constructive criticism.
to maintain regular attendance.
to understand, communicate and comprehend accurate information with others
to reason and analyze effectively.
to solve practical problems as it relates to position.
to pass and maintain all Center mandated trainings.
to work alone.
to work closely with others.
to work closely with clients and/or family members with poor hygiene. Ability
to work long and/or irregular hours.
be subjected to hostile environment.
be subjected to high crime environment.
exposure to tobacco products.
be subjected to both inside and outside environmental conditions.
to standard noise levels within working environment.
by motor vehicle, van, bus or plane may be required.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform
these functions with or without reasonable accommodations as based on ADA