GULF COAST CENTER - JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Licensed Vocation Nurse (LVN)
Location: Brazoria and Galveston County
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Working Status: Full Time with Benefits
Reporting to the onsite Program Manager with clinical oversight from the Chief Nursing Officer, the Licensed Vocational Nurse performs responsible healthcare administrative work within the behavioral health adult outpatient setting to include coordination of medication clinics and follow-up of adult population diagnosed with severe & persistent mental illness receiving pharmacological management and psychiatric diagnostic evaluation services. Duties include education & guidance about medication and possible side effects & other medication related services & psychosocial rehabilitative supports to facilitate recovery as outlined in the Texas Resiliency & Recovery service array.
Gulf Coast Center operates under a trauma-informed approach based on the six key principles of Safety, Trustworthiness & Transparency, Peer Support, Collaboration & Mutuality, Empowerment & Choice, and Cultural, Historical & Gender issues.
Job Duties: (To be performed with or without accommodation as based on ADA requirements)
The Licensed Vocation Nurse (LVN) will be responsible for the following:
Essential Job Duties:
- Participates in the implementation of the service plan
- Assists all patients through the healthcare system by acting as a advocate & navigator
- Promotes clear communication amongst care team & treating clinicians by ensuring awareness regarding patient care plans
- Participate in team discussion and monitoring of medical needs for individuals with behavioral health needs
- Works jointly with program staff, including contracted & co-located physical healthcare provider (Community Health Network) to identify and serve individuals with co-occurring physical health needs.
- Completes referrals as needed
- Utilizes identified evidenced-based practices to conduct comprehensive, preventative screenings for patients (phq9, C-SSRS, biometric screening, OUD, UDS, and other screening as identified) & records results in patient's EHR
- When called upon, responsible for assisting medication support staff with the tracking of manufactured medications as well as shelf samples
- Documents all service related activities and communications according to the Center's clinical documentation guidelines
- Monitors patient progress in relation to the Person Centered Recovery Plan
- Maintains contact with patient and significant others
- Communicates patient's progress and/or changing needs with the patient
- Responsible for providing input into the development of the Person Centered Recovery Plan (PCRP) as well as co-signing plan as member of the treatment team
- Documents progress according to the Center's clinical documentation guidelines & EHR procedures
- Responsible for monitoring/scheduling of lab studies and injection administration
- Participates in the coordination of the medication clinic
- Where qualified & within scope of practice, provides crisis intervention services & assists patients, families, and staff in crisis resolution
- When called upon, responsible for monitoring and assisting medication support staff with the tracking of manufactured medications as well as shelf samples
- Assist in the delivery of comprehensive health/medical services to Center-established aspects of nursing care patients
- Demonstrates proficiency in all aspects of nursing care
- Facilitates patient medication management & education based on TRR evidence-based protocols to include education & guidance about medications & possible side effects through use of HHSC approved materials (MHSA) as well as medication related services as a part of psychosocial rehab services to appropriately authorized individuals as outlined in TAC Title 25 Chapter 416 Rule 416.8
- In support of prescribing provider, conducts medication reconciliation by reviewing & comparing patient's complete medication regimen at time of follow-up visit post inpatient admission with current outpatient medication regimen to avoid inconsistency across transition in care
- Participates in the coordination of the medication clinic
- Responsible for the accurate and safe administration of injectable medication
- Utilizes clinically sound judgment in developing relationships with patients & service providers
- Decision making reflects knowledge of current trends in mental health services
- Coordinates patient care by serving as liaison between patient, prescriber and other identified health care workers
- Follows & utilizes as a resource guide, the GCC Center Medication Policies & Procedures
- Stays current on treatment modalities through continuing education and staff development
- Documents services provided according to current records, policies & procedures
- Documentation/billing is entered accurately within 2 business days of service delivery, though same-day, collaborative documentation is highly recommended
- Participates in quality assurance initiatives internal within agency
- Establishes baseline data and assists with tracking of vital health indicators as part of BHCQMs (CCBHC) and 1115 Waiver identified outcome measures
- Maintains current licensure with Texas Board of Nurse Examiners
- Pursuant to the Nurse Practice Act, supervision of Vocational Nurse states that the practice of vocational nursing must be performed under the supervision of a registered nurse, physician, physician assistant, podiatrist, or dentist supervision of Vocational Nurse. All LVNs will receive periodic supervision as outlined in the Center's Delegation of Certain Medical and Nursing Acts policies & procedures
- All licensed nurses are required to review &familiarize themselves with the Center's Medication Policies & Procedures, to include the Delegation of Certain Medical and Nursing Acts
- Regularly participates in quarterly Behavioral Health Provider & Nursing Services meetings
- Function as an effective team member by arriving and departing work site on time
- Schedule personal days with supervisor in advance whenever possible and coordinate coverage with other team members to assure coverage during absences
- Attend program staff meetings as scheduled as well as quarterly behavioral health provider /nursing services meetings as scheduled
- Attend daily team meetings & program staff meetings (MH Adult)
- Assist supervisor, service area manager & CNO as requested to accurately complete special projects
- Will be responsible and accountable for the adherence to and promotion of the agency compliance policy and will require communication with various departments to foster, develop and continue our community partnerships as it relates to the position.
- Treat all individuals with the utmost courtesy, decency and respect.
- Provide responsive, and efficient services.
- Interact with staff, consumers, local entities and advocacy groups to provide a service that meets local needs.
- Provide highest level of Customer Service for both internal and external customers.
- Required to report personnel leave; flex time and emergency leave to assigned supervisor.
- Strict adherence to the professional, ethical, and legal requirements set forth in GCC's Business Code of Conduct as well as the Corporate Compliance Plan.
- Consistent adherence to the Center's Dress Code.
- Consistent adherence to Center safety guidelines and expectations.
- May be required to travel within Brazoria and Galveston Counties.
- Out of region travel may be required to attend trainings.
- Must maintain a clear driving record and driver's license in accordance with our Driver Policy.
- Requires current Texas Driver's License, reliable transportation and must maintain current auto liability insurance.
Non-Essential Job Duties:
- Participates in inter or intra-agencies councils or committee as assigned
- Community resource development
- Receives direct supervision from Clinic Program Manager as well as clinical oversight from the Chief Nursing Officer.
- Requires graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent.
- Requires graduation from an accredited school of nursing as approved by the Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners; licensed as an LVN in the state of Texas
- Must maintain current licensure through Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners.
- Experience in general nursing care of patients, preferably extensive experience working with individuals with behavioral health disorders
- 2-5 years full-time paid experience in clinical setting is preferred.
- Proficiency in general aspects of nursing/healthcare
- Highly organized & well developed oral & written communication skills
- Mature problem solving approach to daily work
- Good interpersonal skills & ability to establish cooperative relationships with individuals served and families
- Self-motivated with good time management skills
- A team player that can follow a system & protocol to achieve a common goal
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team approach. A team player that can follow a system and protocol to achieve a common goal
- Ability to work with multiple tasks and priorities and maintain timeliness of the finished product
- Customer expectations are consistently met
- Proficiency in computer skills, including maneuvering in the Center's SmartCare Electronic Health Record
- Must be able to work with little or no direct supervision
- Must have excellent organizational skills to meet strict deadlines
- Ability to express self clearly and effectively, orally and in writing.
- Requires ability to work within a team approach.
- Requires proficiency with computer skills, programs and email.
- Work will be performed in the Office setting.
- May require varied work hours depending on need of clients.
- Out of region travel may be required to attend trainings.
- May require travel to various locations within Brazoria and Galveston Counties. Requires current Texas Driver's License, reliable transportation safe and current with all state requirements, and liability insurance.
- Standard office/clinic environment;
- Work hours are generally 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday, but may require irregular work hours.
- At time of reduced staffing, and under the direction of the CNO, may be assigned to any of the four GCC behavioral health outpatient adult clinics to assist with coverage needs.
- Office & field work, to include community setting; patient home visits
- May be asked to participate in after hours on-call rotation
- Assist supervisor when requested to complete special projects and complete all assignments within a time frame negotiated with the supervisor. Completion of other duties as assigned by supervisor as it relates to the program and position.
Job Related Physical/Mental Requirements & Environmental Conditions:
- Ability to transport, adjust and/or move items up to 55 lbs.
- Ability to ascend/descend stairs.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time.
- Ability to handle objects.
- Ability to operate office equipment.
- Ability to move around within an office setting and/or other locations as needed; may include ability to bend/twist, kneel/stoop and/or reach for items.
- Ability to push/pull, crawl/squat as it relates to PMAB requirements; may be required to perform PMAB restraints as it relates to program requirements.
- Ability to detect and write effectively.
- Ability to hear (with or without aid).
- Ability to have visual acuity to operate a motor vehicle and observe objects within work setting.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism.
- Ability to maintain regular attendance.
- Ability to understand, communicate and comprehend accurate information with others in English.
- Ability to reason and analyze effectively.
- Ability to solve practical problems as it relates to position.
- Required to pass and maintain all Center mandated trainings.
Work Site/Environmental Conditions:
- Ability to work alone.
- Ability to work closely with others.
- Ability to work closely with clients and/or family members with poor hygiene. Ability to work long and/or irregular hours.
- May be subjected to hostile environment.
- May be subjected to high crime environment.
- Potential exposure to tobacco products.
- May be subjected to both inside and outside environmental conditions.
- Subject to standard noise levels within working environment.
- Travel by motor vehicle, van, bus or plane may be required.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform these functions with or without reasonable accommodations as based on ADA requirements.