Do you have a passion for helping others and seeking a career where you can make a difference? Then join our team where we have proven to be a strong, self-sufficient and timeless cornerstone of our community committed to connecting and serving people where they live.
GULF COAST CENTER - JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Psychiatrist
Location: Brazoria and Galveston Counties
FLSA Status: Exempt
Working Status: Full-Time with Benefits
Reporting to the Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) with clinical oversight from ETBHN consulting medical director, the program psychiatrist provides on-site psychiatric care to an identified caseload within mental health adult outpatient service site(s). On occasion, service delivery may occur through telemedicine exclusively to Gulf Coast Center mental health clinics. Responsible for the delivery of professional care and competent services to primarily adult population in the areas of psychiatric evaluation, medication management, treatment planning, and emergency evaluations. Familiar with current psychiatric diagnoses and treatment. Must have the ability to provide services on-site and document services using identified electronic medical record (SmartCare); or, service provision conducted virtually with use of Lifesize Platform during times of disaster or public health emergency. The psychiatrist is responsible for ensuring compliance with policies & procedures, billing code requirements, and will complete clinical documentation concurrent with patient visit, utilizing the designated electronic medical record (SmartCare). Other duties include consultation with nursing staff and/or CNO for the purposes of coordinating care; treatment team participation & development of recovery plan. Available for telephone consultation for clinical related issues within MH adult service area requiring immediate attention. Attends and actively participates in quarterly Behavioral Health Medical Services meetings, including participation in death review process.
Gulf Coast Center operates under a trauma-informed approach based on the six key principles of Safety, Trustworthiness & Transparency, Peer Support, Collaboration & Mutuality, Empowerment & Choice, and Cultural, Historical & Gender issues.
Job Duties: (To be performed with or without accommodation as based on ADA requirements)
The Psychiatrist will be responsible for the following:
Essential Job Duties:
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of adult psychiatry; understands the developmental aspects of treatment & assessment; possess the communication skills necessary to obtain information through clinical interview; patient care must be in accordance with the prevailing standard of psychiatric care using such measures, for example, as the GCC Clinical Standards & Guidelines as well as HHSC mandated Psychotropic Treatment guidelines.
- Provides ongoing medication management services consistent with the standard of care & in accordance with applicable guidelines; patient care must be in accordance with the prevailing standard of psychiatric care using such measures, for example, as the GCC Clinical Standards & Guidelines as well as HHSC mandated Psychotropic Treatment guidelines; meets expectations upon internal/external quality management reviews, utilizing HHSC-QM review tool.
- Provides & appropriately documents psychiatric evaluations in accordance with applicable guidelines & documentation requirements, including documentation of SUD diagnoses where applicable; documents pertinent information between appointments, including phone calls, medication changes & referrals; completion of clinical documentation concurrent with patient visit or by close of business each day.
- Provides psychiatric emergency evaluations as necessary and/or upon request by program manager, crisis manager and/or CNO or designee; documents risk factors and recommendations; assists staff in developing appropriate crisis plan.
- Supports GCC principles to include simplified, standardized scheduling, promoting improved access to care and increased prescriber productivity; understands importance of prescriber fill rate to include a goal of 90% minimum fill rate for prescribing providers; front desk staff & other identified staff will work to keep prescriber schedules full through appt reminder calls, cancellations & missed appointments management; willingness to see patient walk-ins, schedule permitting.
- Prescribes medication in collaboration with patient/LAR based on diagnosis & target symptoms, & in compliance with Center formulary; applies cost/benefit/risk analysis; accounts for other medical conditions when making prescribing decisions; adherence to GCC Medication Policy & Procedures as well as identified Center formulary; complies with procedures and acquisition of medication through patient assistance programs.
- Orders lab studies as indicated by patient need & in compliance with applicable rules & guidelines; reviews lab work in a timely manner, & adjusts treatment as indicated; adherence to HHSC Psychotropic Treatment Guidelines and GCC Medication Policies & Procedures.
- Evaluates/monitors effectiveness & tolerability of psychiatric medications; provides patient/LAR education &ensures appropriate consents are obtained; performs AIMS & other assessments as applicable; completes medication consents annually or as indicated utilizing GCC/medical director-approved patient informed consent
- Regularly participates in quarterly Behavioral Health Provider meetings; attendance at quarterly provider meetings as evidenced by sign-in sheet; participates in peer & death reviews and other quality management activities as applicable.
- Clearly documents rationale for treatment that deviates from usual standards, such as polypharmacy, treatment of patients with ongoing SUD, use of off label medications, change in frequency of lab monitoring, long-term use of benzodiazepines; adherence to GCC Medication Policies & Procedures to include prescribing guidelines for controlled substances; adherence to Medication Safety Initiative, no new starts of benzodiazepines without medical director approval; initiates referrals to GCC and/or external Recovery services where clinically indicated.
- Effective March 1st, 2020, Prescription Monitoring Program Checks will be mandatory; all Physicians & Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs) who prescribe opioids, stimulants, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, or carisoprodol will be required to access and review the Prescription Monitoring Program (PMP) prior to issuing prescriptions for these types of drugs; physicians & APRNs must document in the medical record that the review of the PMP occurred and document the rationale for prescribing the controlled drug.
- Must maintain at a minimum, adequate CME hours to remain licensed to practice medicine in the state of Texas; timely submission of annual certification, licensing renewal; must maintain credentials in 3rd party payer panels for which GCC is a provider.
- Productivity Review: Each work day, responsible for monitoring SmartCare dashboard for in-progress events & co-signatures needed to ensure timely encounter & billing claim submission, once developed, conducts regular review of productivity report; percent of productivity measured by relative value unit (RVU).
- Will be responsible and accountable for the adherence to and promotion of the agency compliance policy and will require communication with various departments to foster, develop and continue our community partnerships as it relates to the position.
- Treat all individuals with the utmost courtesy, decency and respect.
- Provide responsive, and efficient services.
- Interact with staff, consumers, local entities and advocacy groups to provide a service that meets local needs.
- Provide highest level of Customer Service for both internal and external customers.
- Required to report personnel leave; flex time and emergency leave to assigned supervisor.
- Strict adherence to the professional, ethical, and legal requirements set forth in GCC's Business Code of Conduct as well as the Corporate Compliance Plan.
- Consistent adherence to the Center's Dress Code.
- Consistent adherence to Center safety guidelines and expectations.
- May be required to travel within Brazoria and Galveston Counties.
- Out of region travel may be required to attend trainings.
- Must maintain a clear driving record and driver's license in accordance with our Driver Policy.
- Requires current Texas Driver's License, reliable transportation and must maintain current auto liability insurance.
Non-Essential Job Duties:
- Receives direct supervision from Chief Nursing Officer; ETBHN Consulting Medical Director
- Requires Doctor of Medicine or Osteopathy; Certification of completion of residency in psychiatry and/or child & adolescent psychiatry.
- Current, active license to practice medicine in Texas as issued by the Texas Medical Board; current active Texas Controlled Substance Registration Certificate issued by the U.S. Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration; unrestricted eligibility to participate in provider network for Medicare/Medicaid/other third party payers.
- Experience practicing in community behavioral health setting
- Ability to express self clearly and effectively, orally and in writing.
- Requires ability to work within a team approach.
- Requires proficiency with computer skills, programs and email.
- Work will be performed in the Office, Field and/or Remotely setting(s).
- May require varied work hours depending on need of clients.
- Out of region travel may be required to attend trainings.
- May require travel to various locations within Brazoria and Galveston Counties. Requires current Texas Driver's License, reliable transportation safe and current with all state requirements, and liability insurance.
- Assist supervisor when requested to complete special projects and complete all assignments within a time frame negotiated with the supervisor. Completion of other duties as assigned by supervisor as it relates to the program and position.
Job Related Physical/Mental Requirements & Environmental Conditions:
- Ability to transport, adjust and/or move items up to 55 lbs.
- Ability to ascend/descend stairs.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time.
- Ability to handle objects.
- Ability to operate office equipment.
- Ability to move around within an office setting and/or other locations as needed; may include ability to bend/twist, kneel/stoop and/or reach for items.
- Ability to push/pull, crawl/squat as it relates to PMAB requirements; may be required to perform PMAB restraints as it relates to program requirements.
- Ability to detect and write effectively.
- Ability to hear (with or without aid).
- Ability to have visual acuity to operate a motor vehicle and observe objects within work setting.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism.
- Ability to maintain regular attendance.
- Ability to understand, communicate and comprehend accurate information with others in English.
- Ability to reason and analyze effectively.
- Ability to solve practical problems as it relates to position.
- Required to pass and maintain all Center mandated trainings.
Work Site/Environmental Conditions:
- Ability to work alone.
- Ability to work closely with others.
- Ability to work closely with clients and/or family members with poor hygiene. Ability to work long and/or irregular hours.
- May be subjected to hostile environment.
- May be subjected to high crime environment.
- Potential exposure to tobacco products.
- May be subjected to both inside and outside environmental conditions.
- Subject to standard noise levels within working environment.
- Travel by motor vehicle, van, bus or plane may be required.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform these functions with or without reasonable accommodations as based on ADA requirements.