Do you have a passion for helping others and seeking a career where you can make a difference? Then join our team where we have proven to be a strong, self-sufficient and timeless cornerstone of our community committed to connecting and serving people where they live.
GULF COAST CENTER - JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Substance Use Counselor
Location: Brazoria County
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Working Status: Full Time with Benefits
To provide quality care and substance use treatment to individuals who are participating in the Recovery outpatient programs located in Brazoria/Galveston Counties. Services include assessment, individual and group counseling working within a team environment.
Gulf Coast Center operates under a trauma-informed approach based on the six key principles of Safety, Trustworthiness & Transparency, Peer Support, Collaboration & Mutuality, Empowerment & Choice, and Cultural, Historical & Gender issues.
Job Duties: (To be performed with or without accommodation as based on ADA requirements)
The Substance Use Counselor will be responsible for the following:
Essential Job Duties:
- Acts as primary counselor for assigned clients enrolled in substance use disorder outpatient services (and their families as appropriate).
- Provides weekly individual counseling to clients enrolled in substance use disorder outpatient services, identifying any progress and providing any required documentation to the appropriate referral source.
- Facilitates group and individual counseling services for clients who have been assigned to their caseload, documenting all direct services in CMBHS.
- Conducts random drug screenings from clients to assess progress or regression in their treatment experience to establish a baseline during treatment.
- Assists in referring clients to interagency services as needed, and connects clients to external services based on clinical necessity.
- Attends weekly staff meeting with the Recovery team, prepared to provide clinical updates and additional information as needed regarding the client's participation in the Recovery Program.
- Maintains compliance with all documentation as assigned and required by the GCC policies and procedures.
- Document all interactions and provided client services and appropriate documentation within the CMBHS electronic medical record system. Ensures that all documentation is reflective of clinical recommendations, free of grammatical errors and reflective of the clinical needs of the client.
- Will be responsible and accountable for the adherence to and promotion of the agency compliance policy and will require communication with various departments to foster, develop and continue our community partnerships as it relates to the position.
- Treat all individuals with the utmost courtesy, decency and respect.
- Provide responsive, and efficient services.
- Interact with staff, consumers, local entities and advocacy groups to provide a service that meets local needs.
- Provide highest level of Customer Service for both internal and external customers.
- Required to report personnel leave; flex time and emergency leave to assigned supervisor.
- Strict adherence to the professional, ethical, and legal requirements set forth in GCC's Business Code of Conduct as well as the Corporate Compliance Plan.
- Consistent adherence to the Center's Dress Code.
- Consistent adherence to Center safety guidelines and expectations.
- May be required to travel within Brazoria and Galveston Counties.
- Out of region travel may be required to attend trainings.
- Must maintain a clear driving record and driver's license in accordance with our Driver Policy.
- Requires current Texas Driver's License, reliable transportation and must maintain current auto liability insurance.
Non-Essential Job Duties:
- Receives direct supervision from Program Manager-Recovery
- Minimum requirements would include either LCDC status in good standing with the state of Texas, or LCDC-Intern with 2,000 hours of supervised work or have passed State test. Experience in substance use setting.
- Associates Degree
- Electronic medical record experience preferred, familiarity with CMBHS.
- If recovering, must have two years continuous sobriety
- Direct care experience preferred.
- Demonstrate strong clinical knowledge of substance use disorders, integrating DSM 5 and additional criterion to establish treatment recommendations.
- Provide sound clinical decisions within the parameters of the overall job duties and ensure that clinical recommendations are reflective of the program's mission and values.
- Must be non-judgmental of clients, develop productive relationships with the diverse client population and have good interpersonal communication and teaching skills with the diverse client population.
- Must be able to articulate clearly, using good grammar verbally and in writing, as well as ability to make constructive use of professional supervision.
- Must be able to work independently and organize work effectively using time management tools.
- Possess knowledge of local community resources and network with agencies to ensure appropriate referrals as needed for client continuity of care.
- Ability to express self clearly and effectively, orally and in writing.
- Requires ability to work within a team approach.
- Requires proficiency with computer skills, programs and email.
- Work will be performed in the Office, Field and/or Remotely setting(s).
- May require varied work hours depending on need of clients.
- Out of region travel may be required to attend trainings.
- May require travel to various locations within Brazoria and Galveston Counties. Requires current Texas Driver's License, reliable transportation safe and current with all state requirements, and liability insurance.
- Assist supervisor when requested to complete special projects and complete all assignments within a time frame negotiated with the supervisor. Completion of other duties as assigned by supervisor as it relates to the program and position.
Job Related Physical/Mental Requirements & Environmental Conditions:
- Ability to transport, adjust and/or move items up to 55 lbs.
- Ability to ascend/descend stairs.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time.
- Ability to handle objects.
- Ability to operate office equipment.
- Ability to move around within an office setting and/or other locations as needed; may include ability to bend/twist, kneel/stoop and/or reach for items.
- Ability to push/pull, crawl/squat as it relates to PMAB requirements; may be required to perform PMAB restraints as it relates to program requirements. Ability to detect and write effectively.
- Ability to hear (with or without aid).
- Ability to have visual acuity to operate a motor vehicle and observe objects within work setting.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism.
- Ability to maintain regular attendance.
- Ability to understand, communicate and comprehend accurate information with others in English.
- Ability to reason and analyze effectively.
- Ability to solve practical problems as it relates to position.
- Required to pass and maintain all Center mandated trainings.
Work Site/Environmental Conditions:
- Ability to work alone.
- Ability to work closely with others.
- Ability to work closely with clients and/or family members with poor hygiene. Ability to work long and/or irregular hours.
- May be subjected to hostile environment.
- May be subjected to high crime environment.
- Potential exposure to tobacco products.
- May be subjected to both inside and outside environmental conditions.
- Subject to standard noise levels within working environment.
- Travel by motor vehicle, van, bus or plane may be required.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform these functions with or without reasonable accommodations as based on ADA requirements.