Do you have a passion for helping others and seeking a career where you can make a difference? Then join our team where we have proven to be a strong, self-sufficient and timeless cornerstone of our community committed to connecting and serving people where they live.
Job Title: Substance Abuse Counselor
Program: Adult Recovery Program/Brazoria County
- To provide quality care and substance abuse treatment to individuals who are participating in the Recovery outpatient programs located in Brazoria/Galveston Counties. Working within a team environment, duties will include, but are not limited to the following job guidelines.
- Received supervision from the Program Manager and/or identified QCC
- On-site direction provided by specified Recovery Area Program Manager
- Minimum requirements would include either LCDC status in good standing with the state of Texas, or LCDC-Intern with at least 2000 hours experience in a substance use setting or less than 2000 hours and have passed the state test.
- Must be familiar with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Electronic medical record experience preferred, familiarity with CMBHS.
- If recovering, must have two years continuous sobriety; direct care experience preferred.
- Must be able to type at least 30 WPM with 80% accuracy.
- Demonstrate strong clinical knowledge of substance use disorders, integrating DSM 5 and additional criterion to establish treatment recommendations.
- Provide sound clinical decisions within the parameters of the overall job duties and ensure that clinical recommendations are reflective of the program's mission and values.
- Must be non-judgmental of clients, develop productive relationships with the diverse client population and have good interpersonal communication and teaching skills with the diverse client population.
- Must be able to articulate clearly, using good grammar verbally and in writing, as well as ability to make constructive use of professional supervision.
- Must be able to work independently and organize work effectively using time management tools.
- Possess knowledge of local community resources and network with agencies to ensure appropriate referrals as needed for client continuity of care.
- Standard Office Environment
- Occasional travel may be required
- Irregular work hours may be required
JOB DUTIES and PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
- Acts as primary counselor for assigned clients enrolled in substance use disorder outpatient services (and their families as appropriate).
- Provides weekly individual counseling to clients enrolled in substance use disorder outpatient services, identifying any progress and providing any required documentation to the appropriate referral source.
- Facilitates group and individual counseling services for clients who have been assigned to their caseload, documenting all direct services in CMBHS.
- Conducts random drug screenings from clients to assess progress or regression in their treatment experience to establish a baseline during treatment.
- Assists in referring clients to interagency services as needed, and connects clients to external services based on clinical necessity.
- Document all interactions and provided client services and appropriate documentation within the CMBHS electronic medical record system. Ensures that all documentation is reflective of clinical recommendations, free of grammatical errors and reflective of the clinical needs of the client.
- Attends weekly staff meeting with the Recovery team, prepared to provide clinical updates and additional information as needed regarding the client's participation in the Recovery Program.
- Other reasonably related job duties as assigned by Program Manager.
- Maintains compliance with all documentation as assigned and required by the GCC policies and procedures.
- Maintain as current all levels of trainings as directed by GCC.
CORPORATE COMPLIANCE/RIGHTS PROTECTION (Essential)
- Strict adherence to the professional, ethical and legal requirements set forth in the Center's Business Code of Conduct as well as the Corporate Compliance Plan.
OTHER DUTIES/SPECIAL PROJECTS (Essential)
- Attend staff meetings as required
- Assist supervisor when requested to accurately complete special projects in the time frame negotiated.
- Perform other duties as assigned.